The Medical Board received 30 petitions for potential new qualifying conditions during the 2020 petition window. The Medical Board’s Medical Marijuana Committee is anticipated to meet February 10. At that meeting, the committee will decide which petitions will be considered. A final vote on new qualifying conditions is expected this summer.
Condition names as listed by the petitioners:
- ADHD, Autism in Children
- Bi-polar Depression, ADHD, and Anxiety
- Chronic Motor or Vocal Tic Disorder
- Complex Reginol Pain Syndrome Type 2
- Enlarged Prostate and Gastrointestinal Issues
- Huntington’s Disease
- Macular Degeneration and Ocular Histoplasmosis
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Meniere’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Opioid Use Disorder
- Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia
- Panic Disorder/Anxiety
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Spasticity/Persistent Muscle Spasms
- Terminal Illness – Estimate of 6-month Life Expectancy or Less
- Terminal Illness will Less than 6 Months to Live/Patient is Eligible for Hospice Care
- TRD – Treatment Resistant Depression
During the submission period (November 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020), petitions were filed electronically through the state’s website, medicalmarijuana.ohio.gov. Per Ohio Administrative Code 4731-32-05,a petition needs to include:
- The name and contact information
- Specific disease or condition requested to be added
- Information from experts who specialize in the study of the disease or condition
- Relevant medical or scientific evidence
- Consideration of whether conventional medical therapies are insufficient to treat or alleviate the disease or condition
- Evidence supporting the use of medical marijuana to treat or alleviate the disease or condition and other types of medical or scientific documentation
- Letters of support provided by physicians
Petitions that meet the requirements of OAC 4731-32-05 will proceed and be reviewed by subject matter experts. Petitions submitted for the same condition will be combined for the reviews. Any petition for a condition that has been previously reviewed by the board and rejected will not be considered by the board unless new scientific research that supports the request is offered.
The board’s committee will review the expert reports and then make a recommendation to the full board for a vote to adopt/deny a petition to add the qualifying condition under review. A full board vote will occur in summer 2021.
The Medical Board’s rules (Ohio Administrative Code) for the qualifying conditions can be found here: http://codes.ohio.-gov/oac/4731-32-05.
The next condition petition window will be Nov. 1 – Dec. 31, 2021.
The Medical Board has been made aware of an email phishing scam that is being sent to our licensees. The sender claims to represent the Ohio Secretary of State and is attempting to gain access to your personal information through a fraudulent request to validate your profile. There is no need to validate your user profile. Do not click the link or input any sensitive information.
If you receive a suspicious email from someone claiming to represent the Ohio Secretary of State, take these steps to protect yourself:
Do not reply
Do not open any attachments, as they could infect your computer
Do not click on any links. If you have clicked on links in a suspicious email and entered confidential information, visit the Federal Trade Commission website and review the commission's information on identity theft at www.identitytheft.gov
Delete the email
The board will send additional updates, if needed.
Please note, the email address used by the scammers may change from the example shown below.